Business Rates Relief
In the Budget, the Government announced a new Expanded Retail Discount scheme for occupied retail, leisure and hospitality premises. Under the scheme, eligible premises will receive a discount of up to 100% on their bill for 2020/21.
Properties that will benefit from the relief will be occupied and wholly or mainly being used:
- as shops, restaurants, cafes, drinking establishments, cinemas and live music venues
- for assembly and leisure
- as hotels, guest & boarding premises and self-catering accommodation
- as estate agents, lettings agents and bingo halls
The government is also introducing a business rates holiday for nurseries in England for the 2020 to 2021 tax year. Eligible properties will be:
- occupied by providers on Ofsted’s Early Years Register
- wholly or mainly used for the provision of the Early Years Foundation Stage
How to access the scheme
There is no action for you. This will apply to your next council tax bill in April 2020. However, local authorities may have to reissue your bill automatically to exclude the business rate charge. They will do this as soon as possible.
You can estimate the business rate charge you will no longer have to pay this year using the business rates calculator. You can access the calculator via this link https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-business-rates.
In the West of England, this will be managed by our local authorities; Bristol, Bath & North East Somerset and North Somerset. For any enquiries about the scheme, please contact your local authority as below.
- Bath and North East Somerset: Please email enquiries to email@example.com. Further information is available on the Invest in Bath website https://www.investinbath.co.uk/news/expanded-retail-business-rates-discount.
- North Somerset: Please email queries to n-somersetNNDR@liberata.com.
- Bristol: Please call 0117 922 3300. Further information is available on the Bristol City Council website https://www.bristol.gov.uk/business-rates/budget-2020-new-rate-discounts.
- South Gloucestershire: Please contact by telephone on: 01454 867 700. Further information can be found on the South Gloucestershire Council website https://beta.southglos.gov.uk/information-for-businesses-and-employers/.
Cash grants will also be provided to retail, hospitality and leisure businesses operating from smaller premises, with a rateable value between £15,000 and £51,000. Further information on this is available on our bespoke webpage https://wearegrowth.co.uk/covid-19/cash-grants-for-retail-hospitality-and-leisure-businesses/.
For further information on the full range of business support measures which have been made available to UK businesses, visit the government's Business Support website https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus/business-support or use the Business Support Finder tool which you can find here https://www.gov.uk/business-coronavirus-support-finder