Not sure what to do or where to start?
There's a lot of information from the government on the EU transition and what you need to do to prep for 1 January 2021.
Our team of Enterprise Advisors are here to help you navigate through the changes. Contact us today.
Changes are coming for all businesses
From 1 January there are new rules for any trade with Europe. You'll need to:
- make customs declarations for any goods moved between Great Britain and Europe;
- pay the relevant tariffs on any goods moved between Great Britain and Europe; and,
- follow new processes for moving any goods into Northern Ireland from Great Britain.
Steps you need to take now
- Check what actions you need to take by visiting gov.uk/transition;
- Sign-up for updates;
- Listen to the government's sector-specific webinars which are available on-demand;
- Decide how you are going to deal with customs declarations – most companies use a specialist for this;
- Check to see whether you might be able to delay your declarations and duty payments; you may be eligible for this if your goods are not on the controlled goods list and you do not have a poor compliance record and;
- Register for the free Trader Support Service if you plan to move goods into Northern Ireland.
Follow this link for information on how to prepare and the steps you need to take. You can also sign up to receive government communications and get a personalised list of the channels that might affect you and your business.
- Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
- Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
- Food Standards Agency
The end of the transition period means businesses should take action now to prepare for guaranteed changes and new rules from January 2021.
The Government will continue to provide the sector-specific information and general support to walk you through the changes. All previously recorded webinars are available on demand now.
If you’re a VAT registered trader, you will also receive a letter in the next few days from HMRC explaining what you need to do to prepare. You can find all recent HMRC letters to VAT registered traders on the gov.uk site.
It's also important to know that there will be changes to UK IP law. Listen to the Intellectual Property Office's informative webinar here so you can prepare in advance of January.
For more information, visit our IP page.
The UK Government has launched a major new Transition public information campaign called “The UK’s new start: let’s get going” to give everyone the facts that they will need to be ready for 1 January 2021. A straightforward checker tool is available on the government website which will quickly identify the specific steps any business or individual needs to take to be ready.